2015: going raw

/ mercredi 24 décembre 2014 /
It is the 23rd of December, and I am well settled in Dublin for Christmas. I am visiting a good friend and life companion C. She lives in Dublin, and I have been lucky enough to also drop in on other friends whilst I have been here.

Whilst I have been here, it is coming up to the new year, and I am about to reassess my life. I want a big change, and I think it is about time. The past few months have been upside down for me; spiritually I feel like I have found clarity on what my life is about which has lead me to change how I view relationships. I have also found a full time job, which is an absolute life changer and gives me stability for a longer short-time period.

I want to give myself a challenge and am going to try and go raw for a year.

Right now, I am an unstable vegetarian. I told myself I would eat meat on my birthday, and christmas, but during 'special occasions' I tend to splurge meaning I break my routine.

This means that as I prepare for a year of going raw, I need to put some restrictions in place. What will I allow myself to eat, and not eat, will I allow myself to break my diet/lifestyle and if so, when. How will I go about telling people.  When I travel or eat at someone's house, will I allow myself to eat meat/eggs/cheese/warm?

Complications Of course there will be complications when starting a diet like this. I am thinking mostly social, which will be considerable seeing that I eat with friends and housemates every day of the week. I think I should make some exceptions, but for the first two months, I am going to go all out, and be completely Raw, and then reassess after two months.

I think the first two will be the hardest, partly because it will be the coldest months of the year, and I will crave warm foods.

Right now, I am travelling a trip around Asia, and I am wanting to save up money for the trip. For the first three months of the year, the money I save from food, I will put towards the trip.

I have 8 days until I begin my new lifestyle, and I am going to slowly wean myself off meat and warm foods during this time. I will also think about what I am going to eat, and my restrictions list. I find that I tend to break my lifestyles when I go on holidays and travel, so this is going to be the most difficult.

I also absolutely love food, especially warm food. During my time in the Netherlands, and even Germany, I couldn't get over my friends only eating one warm meal a day. I told myself that they were crazy, and if I could, I would eat warm all the time!

At worst, it is only a year. I am serious about this, and 365 days isn't really that much.

Why on earth am I doing this?

Health
As I reach 25, I have come to the same conclusion as those older and wiser than me. A friend who is at the peak in his 30's recently told me he has to really watch what he eats these days. I chuckled, but just a few weeks later, I realise that I have been blessed with a body that functions well, and I should try and keep it that way! I haven't treated it wonderfully the past few years, but hopefully I will be getting it back on track next year. My older brother has also gone Vegan for health issues too, and I figure and experimenting with my body like this, can't be any worse than anything else I have done to it previously, hardly! I have shoved so much junk into my body, that eating fruits and vegetables from God's green earth can hardly be worse than anything else I have tried.

Sustainability
Always included in my bodily experiments, and this is no different. I'll also try and eat local when I can. I figure that it won't be too expensive seeing as I won't be buying a lot of what I buy at the moment. Trying to decrease my footprint where I can is part of why I have been a vegetarian. Trying to shrink my environmental impact. If you want to know more, you can send me an email.

Challenge
I need a challenge, and sure is a crazy one.

Getting in tune with my body
I want to see how my body reacts; my mind, emotions, intellectual productivity, sense of energy... I have been told by friends that they can tell when their body needs something. I haven't felt that, but I hope that by doing this, my body will begin to discover what it needs more naturally.

Weight
After giving up competitive rowing and moving to Germany, starting a 9-5 job, I can already see the effects on my body. Sitting at a desk all day surely is far from ideal. I want to minimise the effects of sitting idle all day, and do this before my body gets into the habit of work. I want my body to register raw with work, as I am just about to start work, and right now my body is starting to take note of the yearly rhythms as it adapts to working life.

More updates to come, I'll see how this turns out!


0 Opinions:

Enregistrer un commentaire

The Inspiration Selection

Abduzeedo : Daily Inspiration.
Booooooom : Oh, yes. Art, photos, film and even a dash of music.
Core77 : The first ID site i ever was told about.
CG Textures : Get your textures here.
Deco Design : A french design blog ft. architecture, design and interiors.
Design Boom : An online magazine where new stuff Is.
Design Buzz : Find ideas and concepts right here.
Design is Kinky : Need i say more? (Graphics)
Design Sojourn : ID advice
The Drawing Arm : Illustration
Dribbble : Need a design/layout idea? Get one here.
Fast Company : How entrepreneurs are making it.
Fubiz : A french site dedicated to Architecture, design and all things love.
Inhabitat : Sustainable design is here.
Live Fast : Artsy Magazine online.
Lost Type : Free fonts.
New Scientist : Nerdy science, mainstream style.
The Noun Project : All about icons
Notcot : New design, fashion and food in small, quick pictures.
Public domain review: historical facts
TED : Thinking? TED will help.
Toxel : Innovative Designs, and more.
Whudat : A German blog showing various clips from videos, new design, and photography. Just plain brilliant.
Wilson Quarterly : Updating you on world ideas
Yanko Design : ID News
ZDNet : Nerdy Tech Stuff. AU based.

About Us

Red Rabbit and Company is an exploration of all things design by Kathryn Hing. This is inspiration.
 
Copyright © 2010 Red Rabbit & Kompany, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger